Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No Difference to Him.

As I spent sometime with Jesus today I found myself overwhelmed with an ache in my spirit that my life-the way I spend my time, my relationships, words, actions-would matter. I have no interest in mattering as the world deems worth but desire so deeply that my life may matter in eternity, for the Kingdom of God.

In the last week God has provided a job for me at a local restaurant where I carefully inspect and deliver plate after plate of fancy food. While the actual position as an "expo" at a restaurant will do nothing in terms of eternal impact I am struck with the amount of people that I now have contact with on a daily basis. As I have been getting to know this funny mixture of people and sharing with them God's plans for my future, I have to admit that the reactions have been quite hilarious. When I tell them I am moving to Africa to work with HIV/AIDS orphans it is as though a light from Heaven shines down on me and all of a sudden I am in a different league. I assure you this is not the case. I am so humbled and blessed that God would choose to use little me in such a mighty plan of His.

Here is the thing, today I felt Jesus opening my eyes to see my fellow employees with new vision. While it is easy to evoke compassion and effect when thinking about orphans in Africa, God was reminding me that He sees no difference between the hurting ones in Africa and the hurting in Bend. The youth I will be serving in Botswana and the waiters, chefs, and managers in Bend have many similarities. I know, it sounds strange but here's what Jesus showed me:

1) God is passionately pursuing the lost ones to welcome them home.
2) In both places, there are souls at stake.
3) He has powerful plans for every heart present that were created before the beginning of time.
4) There are broken, hurting, wounded people in need of a healer.
5) God has called me to usher in His presence in both places.

Honestly, the list could go on but more than anything I am so encouraged that the call of God on my life is to make a dent in eternity through knowing Him. His heart is so big and He shows no partiality. Tonight as I head into work I know that I will not see with the same eyes. Orphans in Africa or people in Bend, God's heart of compassion and love is bursting for both. I pray that I may serve wherever I am with the same focus and passion, making the life I live mean something to those around me. I ache to be to others the fragrance of Christ and I am so thankful for every glimpse of the Father's heart.

No comments: