Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Get Out Your Hiking Boots.

" Come, let's climb God's Mountain, go to the House of the God of Jacob. He'll show us the way He works so we can live the way we're made." Isaiah 2: 3

As I read this verse this morning I have to admit I sensed an ache in my spirit regarding two very important things. One is that these days especially I desire so greatly to truly understand the way that God works. I know by now that His ways are not my ways (which I am relieved about) but so often I look at my life and scratch my head. The thing I have come to realize, however, is that it is more than me just wanting to know God's plan and wacky ways that He brings about His purposes. I want to know Him. I see Him all around me and the amazing ways He orchestrates His Kingdom plans and it makes me thirsty to know the God behind it all. Yes, I know Him, but in those quiet moments before the Throne of grace I continually hear God whispering to me, "There is more!" I love this verse because it reminds me that God wants to let us in on His workings. It is hard to understand His ways but He so graciously reveals "sneak peeks" along the way via His Word, promises, and the gentle nudging of His Spirit.

The second thing that stirs me is the thought that I may truly live as I was made to. Doesn't that just make your spirit tingle? It does mine. The thing I have been battling lately is how to live life day to day filled with purpose and obedience to Christ when my days do not look like I expected or desire them to be. This verse reminds me, however, that I was created to live TODAY. Before the beginning of time God saw this day, had a purpose in it and is delighted to let me in on the secret of His ways. The challenge for me is to slow down in actions and in my spirit enough to seek Him. I must begin to set aside my expectations of the day to day and begin to tap into the resources and vision of the Kingdom of God. The truth remains, no matter what today looks like in the natural, God has an eternal purpose which He longs for me to become aware of. So many days I walk around spiritually blind forgetting that this is not my home. I am overwhelmed with the truth of God's word today. I ache to live as I was made to and to know deep within the ways the Almighty works.

Today I choose to get out my hiking boots, climb the Mountain of my God and take some time to see things at a higher elevation. My prayer is that I will come down the Mountain living fully as I was created to and knowing better the heart and ways of my God. What a treasure this trek is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.