Friday, July 31, 2009

To Sing Without a Beak.

I have this wooden bird in my cottage that sits in my cozy little reading nook. It's long, slender neck reaches high towards the Heavens and I call it my “Praise Bird.” Lizzy coined the phrase when she found these carved creatures pointing their beaks to God. When I saw her praise birds worshiping on the kitchen shelf, I knew my house had to have one too.

I handpicked my Praise Bird and settled on its new home in my reading nook as a constant reminder that each day I live should be one stretching my neck towards God and praising Him. This last week a mysterious occurrence happened. I woke up in the morning, glanced in the corner and found that my praise bird was strangely different. Upon closer inspection, I could clearly see that the beak was broken completely off. I searched high and low to find the beak so that I could restore wholeness to my beloved bird, but the beak was no where to be found. An accident must have occurred to de-beak my bird and having no solution for repairing her, I put her back in her spot and carried on with my day.

As the week has gone by I have again and again glanced at my Praise Bird, who is now broken and beak-less. I been struck with the fact that regardless of her state, she continues straining as high as she can to offer praise. It may seem strange but as I look at this funny, little wooden bird, I find within myself a level of relating. At times I have unexpected troubles and trials that come that leave me broken, humiliated, and un-whole. Just like my Praise Bird, I have a choice. I can choose to praise God out of that brokenness or not. The truth is that God, the Almighty, is worthy of praise on good days and bad days. Whether I am feeling strong to stand and declare His worth or I feel as though my life is busted and missing something, He deserves my praise, honour, and adoration.

This week I read, Psalm 92:1-3, it says...

What a beautiful thing, God, to give thanks, to sing an anthem to you, the High God! To announce your love each daybreak, sing your faithful presence all through the night...”

My heart is steadied in the truth that God does not change. His character, ways, and presence is never dependent on the state of my heart and circumstances. Amen, Hallelujah. As my broken, beak-less Praise Bird stands tall shouting her praises in the corner of my little cottage, so will I choose daily to lift my heart in worship and praise to the One who is always worthy and deserving.



2 comments:

Mekenzie Stearns said...

Just throwing this out there...I want a praise bird :) do you think they have those here?

Jenna said...

I doubt it. I can try to sort something perhaps. Love to you.