Saturday, May 9, 2009

Investing Partners.

“The servant given one thousand said, 'Master I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place and secured your money. Here it is, safe and sound down to the last cent.'

“The Master was furious. 'That's a terrible way to live! It's criminal to live cautiously like that!...The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest.

'Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this “play-it-safe” who won't go out on a limb.”

Matthew 25:24-30

With valuable things, I like to be cautious. For they are valuable things.
I am not necessarily the kind of person who likes to takes risks either.
In fact the very thought of skydiving instantly puts my heart into panic mode.
I know nothing about investing money or buying stocks in “risky financial endeavors.”
But really none of this matters.
That's not at all what Jesus is talking about here.
I fear the literal interpretation of this story would leave me right in the position of the last, unfaithful investor. I can be a real wimp, cautious, and not willing to risk anything.

When I think about this story, however, I sense that something has been deposited in me that is bubbling to the surface of my heart. My account is not empty. Not only has there been a deposit but there is an urge to defy my natural wimpy instincts.
In fact, I have been given something to invest. My Master paid a great price for the chance to entrust to me certain exceptional aspects of His Kingdom.
God continually asks me to risk it all for the Kingdom of God.
I am at a crossroads which demands my all.
I cannot “play-it-safe” now. I have already climbed my little self out on that limb and lately I have been looking at the possibility that I may smack my face against that not-so-soft-looking ground.
I forgot how much courage it takes to follow Jesus. I can't muster it up either.
I have already confessed I am mostly a wimp. But then the Spirit reminds me of something.

Jesus hung out on a limb for me.
He took a risk, investing His very life
for the chance that I would say, “Yes,” to Him.
He refused to live cautiously. He raised a ruckus for the Kingdom of God regaining territory that needed reclaiming. This included my heart and life.
For the One who paid to invest in me, I can find no other response.
I will risk all of my hopes, dreams, and desires for things that are more valuable, things that will last into all eternity. He becomes my strength, my courage, my reward.
I refuse to squander the deposit made in me. I want to double my investment and hear the words, “Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.” (25:21)

2 comments:

Katie Scott said...

I love how the Holy Spirit speaks internationally. I woke up this morning pondering that very verse and was planning on blogging about it!

Cassie said...

and so therefore Jenna has once again BLESSED MY LIFE!!!!!

love and miss you so stinking much!