Friday, June 11, 2010

Gardening for God's Glory.

I am not a gardener in the natural.
However, God has called me to garden in the Spirit.
If I had known what this job entailed, I pray I would have still said, “Yes,” to Him.
The soil He has set before me is the rich, tender, and sometimes ornery soil of the next generation in Botswana. God has filled my sack with seeds of His truth, echoes of hope, and a fierce faith that though the seeds seem small, they will produce a harvest.

Sometimes the soil is soft, receptive and prepared for the seeds.
Other times the soil is hard and even rolls it's eyes in my direction.
Regardless, the seeds never change. They are sown faithfully each week with no regard to the status of the soil. Though I rejoice when I see the seeds to take root, I have been called to sow seeds with confidence and in obedience.

Being a sower in these fields takes hard work.
It requires investing time, walking in wisdom, watering the soil in love, and deep, sometimes painful sacrifice.

The soil that I am referencing is the hundreds of 6th &7th grade students at Mmusi Primary School who I have the privilege of teaching each week. In this public school I get to sow seeds of truth about God's heart for purity, being people of character, making wise choices, and stepping into the incredible plans that God has planned. Often I am asked to speak truth on subjects that the very culture around me hides from. It can be mortifying and challenging at times. But sow I will. I believe if I faithfully and boldly proclaim the heart of God over these young ones, there will be a harvest. This week I saw that faith come to sight.


Behold my first harvest...
115 seventh graders who have decided to pledge abstinence until they are married. Those seeds have taken root. These young ones believe there is another way. They believe God has a plan for them. They believe that they can start a new heritage of purity in their village, country, and continent.

I believe it too....for “I am sure that God, who began this good work within [them,] will continue His work until it is finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.” Ephesians 1:6

No comments: