Saturday, October 30, 2010

Being Miss Javens.


It is no lie, I LOVE teaching. I love every little detail about it; the lesson planning, clever “attention-getters,” witnessing AHA moments splashed across young faces, being consistently covered in chalk, marking books with smiley faces, and most of all, I LOVE the kiddos. As much as I adore the fact that God has called me to Africa to teach darling, uniform-clad littles (and youth), lately I have been feeling like a crazy teacher juggling 200 students ranging from 5th, 6th, 9th and 10th grade. I love it, but most days I am exhausted. Most days I need a little reminder as to why I am performing the one-woman show for the masses, why it is all so terribly worth it.

This week I got it. A little pick-me-up in the form of a letter shyly slid across my table as the author fled the scene.

Its contents are as follows (In its original form):

Dear Miss Javins,

I am writing this letter telling you how much I love you.

You are the rose of my heart. The first time I saw you, I sat down, took some time to look at your face and your eyes gave me courage. You are as precious as a dimond and your voice is as sweet as a piano. I would like to tell you that you are adorable, always intrigued and captiated lady. You are a great lady who is not afriad of challenges.

Wherever you are, you have my blessing. Even if you are poor or rich, I still love you and you are always smart and persistant. You are such a darling.

I realy love you Miss Javins, Mother, Father and members of your family.

From your Student

Cindy

Ahh, being Miss Javens. (Or “Javins”)...simply divine.


2 comments:

Stephenie Jayne said...

Oh dear. I just melted into one big puddle of adoration.
I want to come to Africa and sit in your classroom just to learn from the courage-eyed, piano-voiced lady.

I concur with everything this one had to say, and add that you also have my blessing wherever you are. Even if you are poor or rich, I love you still. :)


See you sooner than not!

-- Steph

Hosanna said...

Adorable!!! Some day i want to come and see you in Africa!!!

Your sister in Christ
Hosanna